Sunday, May 10, 2009

take me up, take me down, now spin me around...

Hey guys, sorry I didn't update you- we've been going up and down a lot with Dominic lately-

So the Doctors still don't know why he got those fevers- never found an infection. After that he was doing well again and moving up on feeds and was all set to come home on Thursday the 7th of May. On Wednesday night he started spitting up a little green, but since he was still pooping (although it was a little loose) they were still going to let us take him home. While I was there feeding him, Rick was at the Parmacy picking up his meds and we had the carseat up there and everything... Dominic started projectile throwing up green. I just sat there trying to calm and clean him and tears started running down my face. I thought, here we go again. This is the third or fourth time we've been ready to take him home and he has to start all over again. Needless to say, Dominic didn't come home with us. They stopped his feeds cause he was just throwing it all up, and put in an IV for fluids. Since he's been stuck so many times, his veins are all used and no good anymore for IVs, so it was in his head. Friday when we went in, the Doctors took us to the conference room to tell us that it would be best to put in a Broviac (a surgical IV catheter put in through the neck and out the chest)so that he has a more permanent way of getting nutrition. His intestines just aren't mature enough to handle a full load of food, so we have to rely on TPN as a fall-back now. I really hoped we could take him home and just feed him, but we'll have to wait for that. At least with the Broviac in, he can come home on TPN and bottle feeds and we can take care of him here. So that's where we are now- they're going to work him up to a reasonable amount of food without pushing it, and the rest of his nutrition will be from TPN. It's not an ideal situation, but at least this way he's not getting dehydrated and malnourished every time his intestines can't handle his food. Hopefully this way will help him grow nice and big so his intestines can sort themselves out a little more. Please pray that he doesn't have to stay on TPN for a very long time; I don't want his little liver to suffer...

Thanks everyone!

Stephanie

3 comments:

  1. I can't imagine that happening! I am so sorry. You are very brave to be so positive. Of course you have to be for your lo but I know it is hard. He is so adorable and you will bring him home soon. It will be one of the best days of your life! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thinking of you on such an emotional roller coaster ride. I hope it gets better for you very soon and that Dominic builds the strength he needs. You have a little fighter, he is adorable.
    Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had no idea you were going through this Steph. I see now that I take advantage of my daughter being healthy...and no longer will do that without thinking of your little guy. I think the Broviac is a great idea. I had one when I was in Chemo (they called it a central port). It will be alot easier on him and you. He is adorable and I know he will pull through this tough time. Thank god he won't remember. You and your husband will, but I think that will make you both better parents in the end. It seems like you are both doing an amazing job. Parents have to be stong for their children...but I have found it hard at times. If you ever need another mommy to talk to...I am always here for you! ANYTIME! (309)303-7327. Hang in there...it will all work out. Send the little fighter our love. ~Christina Bunton

    ReplyDelete