Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Update- 7Jan09

Gastroschisis Update
We went to the German hospital in Kaiserslautern (about 20 minutes from home) yesterday and the Dr. confirmed that our baby does, in fact, have Gastroschisis. She referred us to the bigger hospital in Mannheim (about an hour from here) to see their Dr's because that's where we would deliver. Right now we're still waiting to meet with the ONE high risk Dr. on base because he's on leave until Monday, so we're just seeing what the Germans plan for our situation and then will talk to the American Dr. to see what they would do. We have to decide if we want to be treated here with the Germans, or go back to the States for it all. That would entail us moving very quickly back over there (don't know where) and then getting treatment. I'm not sure how I feel about packing my whole house, selling a car, flying back over there, finding a house, getting settled in... all while I could deliver at any moment.... we're still weighing all our options. From what we've read, I will most likely have a c-section between 35-37 weeks, if I don't go into labor on my own before that, which is a great possiblility given that when the intestines get more inflamed in my uterus it sends a signal to the baby basically saying "Let's Go!". This is scary because at last weigh in yesterday he's only 2.4lbs, which is measuring 2 weeks behind in weight. This is common for having gastroschisis but still worrisome. He's nice and long though, measuring at about 16 inches which is right on track for 31 weeks!! =) So basically we have a long, very skinny baby... but hopefully I can get him to fatten up a bit =)... an excuse to hit up the ice cream cake?? I think yes. anyway, thank you all for your thoughts, prayers, and kind words. A big thanks to our families who are rallying behind us in support and making us feel so loved. We love you all and I will keep you all posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment